Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Chasm.

It's clear your wish is to avoid conversing with me.
It has been hard, but I am trying just to let it be.

I feel this deep chasm where friendship used to be.
I cannot tell if it is my perception or just reality.


I wish I knew where we stood, but all I know for sure
is that this distance is more than I want to endure.

You used to lean on my shoulder and confide in me.
We used to laugh and relish in some sort of solidarity.

I thought I had a friend for life because family cannot leave,
but your presence only reminds me of the loss that I now grieve.

You are a stranger to me now - does it feel the same to you somehow?

Am I unrecognizable to you as well?
Or am I the same at my core? I cannot tell.

Life has given us different paths -- divergent from our common past.
I always thought, no matter what, our friendship would last.

I have been so wrong about so many things...
I'll just add this to the list. The slap of reality stings.

It is not a physical distance, although that does exist,
but a distance between our souls that does persist.

I wish there was a way to find some common ground--
where it seems that none can be found.


I am at a loss for how to get us there.
Is this a pain you also bear?

I do not know which way to hope - finding myself unprepared.
Do I hope that you have somehow been spared?


I am selfish.
I know -- it is my secret wish.

I wish that you would feel it too - as much as I do.
I cannot deny it or make it untrue.

No matter how much I wish I could hide it.
This void is tearing me apart...bit by bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment