Monday, July 23, 2012

Race to Remember

We ran a 5k this weekend. Jared, Claire, and I - and some other friends.

We were running to support the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep organization and in honor of sweet Abigail (the daughter of some friends who passed away after only being with us for a day) and Moira Dulce (my sister-in-law's baby who was lost through a miscarriage).
Normally the thought of running three miles on a hot July morning would make me throw up a little and cry, but this was for a really good cause and it turned out to be a really nice run. The majority of the trail was shaded and we ran early enough that it wasn't way too hot yet.

My goal was to get finished in 45 minutes. I know that sounds pathetic, but I hadn't done any prep for this run and I haven't run more than a mile or two consecutively since college - I am not much of a runner.
We (Jared stayed with me even at my incredibly slow pace) finished at 41.08. I beat my goal by 4 minutes. Yes I had to walk some, but I jogged for more of it than I thought I would be able too.

I have decided that I need to participate in races like this more often and get back into shape. I am about to have a big birthday and with it a slow-down of my metabolism. So that is my goal...we'll see if it pans out.

I am so glad we got to participate in this run and support our friends. It was a great experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment